Prior to your annual furnace service appointment, take some time to check around your home for areas that may be leaking warm air. Leaky doors and windows and other areas sap your furnace’s efficiency. You could be losing money on your utility bills! Simply identifying leaks could make a big difference in your energy savings.
Repairing many cracks and leaks can be a relatively quick DIY project that could help you save money season after season. After leaks are sealed, you’ll also get the most benefit from your annual furnace service. Can you think of anything better than enhancing energy efficiency and saving money, all while making your home more comfortable?
So where should you look for those annoying leaks?
A great deal of air can slip out through your attic. Here are some specific areas to investigate:
- Stud cavities could be open or uninsulated, permitting air to easily leak out. You’ll wind up with a chillier home and a higher utility bill.
- Don’t forget your attic access doors when you replace or install weatherstripping around your home. A lot of people overlook them and they can let a significant amount of heat escape.
Any openings into your house.
A lot of heat is lost through windows and doors.
- Check your weatherstripping. If it’s cracked or torn, it’s time to replace it.
- Inspect the caulking on all of your windows, checking both inside and outside. It’s easy to use a caulking gun to seal any holes you notice.
- Cover any gaps around your chimney and flue (if you have a chimney) to stop air from escaping.
There are so many ways to make sure you get the most out of your annual furnace service, but following this list will give you a huge advantage. You’ll be more comfortable and your home will be more efficient. At J & J Air Conditioning, we are happy to answer your questions about these tips. And, if it’s time to set up a furnace service appointment, give us a call at 254-355-3833.