Summer weather in Eastland can be brutal. But you don’t have to pick between being comfortably cool and saving money on your utility expenses. We’ve put together some tips to help you out.
The best thing you can do to stay comfy and ensure energy efficiency is by tending to your air conditioner. ENERGY STAR® suggests keeping your system operating reliably and efficiently, and J & J Air Conditioning is able to make that simple. During an AC tune-up appointment, we’ll do the following tasks suggested by ENERGY STAR and more:
- Tighten all electrical connections and measure voltage and current on motors to ensure safe operation of your system and the possibility of a longer life for major components.
- Clean the air conditioner’s evaporator and condenser coils as need be. Dirty coils require your system to run harder to do its job.
- Check system controls to be sure of accurate and safe operation.
- Inspect refrigerant levels.
- Clean and adjust blower components to ensure correct system airflow.
Another key to remaining cool is routinely checking your air conditioner’s air filter. A dirty filter can raise energy costs and damage your equipment, which could lead to premature failure. Our J & J Air Conditioning pros will check these for you at your tune-up appointment, but you’ll want to check the manufacturer’s recommendations to make your own schedule to switch them out.
Here are a handul of other tips to keep your home cool and energy-efficient:
- Look at thermostat settings to ensure your air conditioner keeps you comfy when you are home and saves energy while you are not around.
- If you find yourself cool at night, you can turn off your air conditioner and open your windows. Let the night air cool your home for you! In the morning, shut your windows and window coverings to trap the cool air and block the sun’s heat.
- Take advantage of fans. An ENERGY-STAR ceiling fan will allow you to set your thermostat a tad higher than you regularly would without noticing any changes in your comfort level.
- Another style of fan people often forget about when they’re attempting to keep cool is their bathroom ventilation fan. Be sure to run yours when you shower as well as 20 minutes or longer after you’re done to take care of the heat and humidity from your bathroom.
- Avoid leaving lights on and running many appliances on the hottest days. Obviously, your stovetop and oven are adding heat into your home, but even everyday activities like watching TV, working on the computer, and drying or curling your hair can boost the heat in your home.
If you’d like more ideas on how to keep your home cool and energy efficient this summer, give J & J Air Conditioning at call at 254-355-3833 or request an appointment with us online.