Spring is in the air here in Eastland and that means vacation plans are on the horizon. While you’re sorting through what you need to pack and take with you, don’t forget what stays behind, your home. The J & J Air Conditioning team has some helpful advice that will help keep your home safe and help save some money on your utility bills while you go on a well-deserved vacation.
- Install Timers - Timers are an inexpensive way to make your home look as though you are home by turning off and on the lights as if you never left. It’s a wise idea to program your lights to sync up with your typical schedule.
- Enlist the help of a house-sitter - If you have a reliable friend or family member, ask them if they’d mind stopping by and [[checking in on|check up on|look over]18 the house while you’re away. There’s no greater comfort than a text while you’re away letting you know that everything at home is just fine.
- Wait to share - We aren’t going to say not to share photos of your awesome vacation on social media, but try to put it off until after you make it home to post information about your trip. Family and friends most likely already know you’re leaving so there’s no reason letting potential criminals know your itinerary. Everyone will be just as delighted by the fantastic things you saw after you safely return home.
- Hold the Mail - The USPS has made it more effortless than ever to put a hold on your mail you can do it online right now.
- Unplugged - If an electrical device is plugged in, even if it’s not on, it’s using energy. A simple way to conserve energy while you’re away is to unplug a few of your electronics. Something that you may overlook unplugging is your garage door. It will conserve energy and it will also be another safeguard for your home.
- Adjust the thermostat - If you’re not going to be home there’s no sense keeping your home heated and cooled to your comfort level. If you have a digital thermostat you can set the thermostat back to your ideal level so you arrive back to a safe, cozy home.
These are some painless tips to add to your spring break prep checklist, right after finding the perfect bathing suit. If you have any questions about securing your home this season or want to talk about additional energy saving tips, give J & J Air Conditioning in Eastland a call at 254-355-3833.