They say knowledge is power, and that’s definitely the truth when it comes to your air conditioner. While challenging repairs are best left to experts, it’s helpful to have a rudimentary understanding of your air conditioner and how to solve everyday AC issues.
Understanding how your AC works and the common problems it faces will allow you to fix little problems without needing to call an HVAC specialist every time. This not only saves you money on minor service calls, but realizing when to call a professional can help prevent small issues from escalating into complex repairs.
Your AC is a fundamental element of your home comfort. Because of that, you should always err on the side of caution and call a NATE-certified professional for air conditioning repair in Eastland if you're uncertain about any aspect of your air conditioning system’s operation or maintenance.
Here are some typical questions people ask our experts about their air conditioners:
1. How Do I Clean an Air Conditioner?
Cleaning an air conditioner is a good way to make sure it works efficiently, and potentially could extend the life of your unit.
The most effective action you can take on your own is to replace the air filter in your air conditioner. The filter catches dust, pollen, pet hair and other debris, and removes those particulates from the air circulating inside your home. If your AC filter becomes plugged, the air conditioner has to work harder than it should in order to move air through the filter. A clean filter catches the airborne debris while still allowing air to flow efficiently through the system.
Replacement filters are sold at most major home improvement stores, hardware stores or can be purchased from your local HVAC expert. A good way to make sure you get the correct filter is to look at your old one before you head out for the store, taking care to write down the size of the filter. If you’re not familiar with filters, it’s also a good idea to note the filtration level of the current filter if you are hoping to buy something similar.
For comprehensive service of your air conditioner, contact the seasoned professionals like the crew at J & J Air Conditioning to do scheduled maintenance on your AC. They’ll look over your system, clean or lubricate parts that need it and look for worn-out parts and potential problems.
2. How Do I Clean Air Conditioner Coils?
In addition to making sure your indoor AC unit is operating efficiently, it’s also a good idea to tend to your outdoor unit. Cleaning the coils on the exterior unit of your air conditioner is an easy way to improve its efficiency and can extend the life of your entire system.
The coils, which have extensions called fins, are used to release heat from the refrigerant into the outside air. This cools the refrigerant, which then goes back in your home so it can soak up more heat from the air inside your home. Cleansing the fins and the coils is a way to help them release heat more easily.
To clean your air conditioner’s fins and coil:
1) First, shut down power to the outdoor unit. It’s best to disconnect it completely from power, instead of turning the thermostat off.
2) Lift off the top of the outdoor AC so you can access the interior of the unit. Then, taking care not to pull hard on any cords or attachments, safely move the top to the side.
3) Spray a cleaning solution on the fins, beginning at the top and then working your way down. Commercial coil cleaners are on the market and commonly found in both the canned aerosol spray from as well as in the form of foaming solutions that are applied with your garden hose.
4) Follow directions on the product to apply. For most cleaners, it's suggested that you spray the product on, let the cleaner soak in for a small period of time to attack the grime and then carefully spray it off with a garden hose. Be cautious not to spray really hard, because that could ruin the coils or fins!
5) Secure the top back on the unit and then wait for the components to dry before turning the unit back on.
3. How Long Do Air Conditioners Last?
The life span of an air conditioner can vary based on the type of unit, its quality, how well it's maintained and how much it's used. That said, experts say you should start looking into air conditioner replacement after about 12-15 years.
One of the best ways to get maximum value from your HVAC is through AC conditioner maintenance. Maintenance service from J & J Air Conditioning includes cleaning and inspecting the machinery, as well as changing out the dirty filter and mending any worn-out or broken parts. To keep your unit operating as long as possible, reach out to us today to schedule air conditioning maintenance in Eastland.
4. What Size Air Conditioner Do I Need?
Picking out the correct sized air conditioner for your home is vital for maintaining comfort and efficiency. Here are some points to think about when deciding what size air conditioner to buy for your home:
- Square footage: The amount of space you have to cool is one of the key factors. More expansive spaces require more cooling power.
- Home insulation: Well-insulated homes preserve cool air better, which could reduce your cooling needs.
- Climate: If you live in a hotter climate, you'll want a more powerful air conditioner compared to someone living in a cooler climate.
- Number of windows: Windows frequently let in heat, in particular when they're south-facing or not well-insulated.
- Number of occupants: More people in the house produce additional body heat, which can affect your cooling needs.
- Existing HVAC system: The size and productivity of your current system can provide a jumping off point for determining what you need.
Due to the fact the size of your air conditioner is so critical to your home’s comfort, you will almost certainly want a professional opinion. At J & J Air Conditioning, we take the time to thoroughly understand your family’s lifestyle, comfort needs and the many other factors such as your home’s design and size. This attention to detail and dedication to customer service is why J & J Air Conditioning is known for excellent air conditioning installation in Eastland.
5. How Much Does an Air Conditioner Cost?
While prices fluctuate depending on the size of the unit and your home’s unique specifications, a new air conditioning system generally costs between $5,000 and $12,500 to purchase and install. The good news is that new air conditioners are designed to be extremely efficient, so they do more with less power when compared to older units.
The price of an air conditioner is influenced by several factors during the manufacturing process, such as the cost and availability of raw materials, manufacturing and labor costs in addition to federal regulations that necessitate changes to the design.
Realize these are average costs and prices can vary. It's always helpful to get several quotes from reliable HVAC companies before making a choice. If you’re contemplating air conditioning replacement in Eastland, contact J & J Air Conditioning. We will schedule an appointment to provide you with a complimentary estimate, describe the plan and help connect you with available rebates or discounts.
6. What Causes an Air Conditioner to Freeze Up?
Air conditioning freezing up can be due to a variety of factors, all of which boil down to the AC's inability to efficiently transfer heat. If your AC is suffering from issues causing it to freeze up, it is very likely time for air conditioning repair.
Here are some common triggers for AC freezing up:
- Insufficient airflow: If the air isn't flowing correctly through your AC system, it can't adequately absorb heat. This could be due to a dirty air filter, blocked return air ducts or a failing fan.
- Low refrigerant levels: If your air conditioner is running low on refrigerant, it may get too cold and freeze up. This is often a consequence of leaks in the refrigerant lines.
- Very Chilly outdoor temperatures: Using your air conditioner when it's really cold outside can cause the system to freeze. The majority of units aren't designed to operate in temperatures of less than 60 degrees Fahrenheit (15 degrees Celsius).
- Mechanical failures: Faulty thermostats, damaged blower motors and trouble with the relay or control board can all play a role in an AC unit freezing up.
J & J Air Conditioning is the Respected Source for Air Conditioning Service in Eastland.
At J & J Air Conditioning, we strive to make your home a comfortable and pleasant place. Our knowledgeable specialists are up-to-date on the latest industry training and trends, and are experienced on a wide variety of systems. That’s why community members make us the premier choice for air conditioning repair in Eastland and nearby areas.
If you’re looking to upgrade or its time for a new unit, we’ve got you covered there too, with our top-notch air conditioning installation in Eastland. No matter what, we can help you solve your cooling issues!
Phone J & J Air Conditioning today at 254-355-3833 to schedule an appointment or complimentary estimate!